Over the years I have come to realize how fast time moves especially after having a kid. One day you wake up and you are 18 years old with not a care in the world, and then you wake up the next morning and you are 29 with a wife, kids, dogs and bills climbing at you. You then look around and try and make sense of certain choices you have made over the years and where they ultimately led you. Sometimes it works out pretty well while others it does not, and these times are times of reflection and progress.
“How long will you slumber, O sluggard? When will you rise from your sleep? A little sleep, a little slumber, A little folding of the hands to sleep— So shall your poverty come on you like a prowler, And your need like an armed man.”
Proverbs 6:9-11 NKJV
The verses above really make me think of life and how quickly things come at you and how quick they can change as well. We have to constantly be on our toes and alert to life because one slip up can send you straight on your butt with a dumbfounded look of, “what the heck just happened?”
Some of the key factors of success in life that I have witnessed over the years in other people is to be flexible, diversified, knowledgeable, motivated and goal orintied. These five qualities are what can help us be successful in this life and ultimately bring glory to God. Let’s look at these five qualities in a brief manner.
- Flexible: without flexibility we can not respond properly to issues that come our way or even opportunities that knock at our door. An inflexible person relies on comfort and is unwilling to grow. God wants us to get out of our comfort zone and grow as bright and big as He wills us to.
- Diverse: it is always good to have one thing that you truly excel at, but it is also good to have many things going at the same time. When we have many investments we then do not just rely on one income, but we then rely on the ups and downs that are bound to happen with all investments. While one is down another is up.
- Knowledgable: I am not saying we have to be a know it all, but it is good to study and to know what you are doing enable to know what direction to go. The more knowledge of something you have the better you will do with it. Study up on your ventures and excel in life.
- Motivated: of course all the things listed before can not be accomplished without first being motivated to do so. Motivation is what helps us get out of bed and get going with the day ahead. Do not be the slothful person of Proverbs, but a motivated ambassador of God.
- Goal oriented: having all the qualities above brings you to the final one of being focused. Without focus and direction there is only a pointless drifting in the sea of life. Write down goals dealing with your ventures and then pray on them. You may not land exactly on your goal, but be rest assured that God will land you exactly where you need to be.
We have a choice each and everyday to wake up and go make the fullest of what we are given. Time flys and so we should seek to utilize the most out of our short time on this earth by doing quality work in the things we love and are called to do.
What ventures do you have in mind? Are you ready to apply the five qualities of success above? Do not let time fly by, but enjoy life to the fullest and be the most successful mustard seed God has called you to be.